Monday, 2 January 2017

Hello there and welcome!

I am Bill Kasman and, despite the un-Scottish-sounding name, I am a Scotsman born and bred currently living in the ancient kingdom of Fife on Scotland's east coast. I am proud to be a Scotsman and my writing and other online activities are weighted heavily towards promoting Scotland in all of its facets from its vibrant cities to its history, its great outdoor activities, its potential as a tourist destination to blatantly plugging Scotland as a great place to live or to visit.

The photograph you see below is of the pretty little fishing village of Crail which is only a 20-minute drive from my home. Crail is one of several historic villages in what is known as the 'east neuk' of Fife ('neuk' is an old Scots word for 'corner') and the university town and the 'home of golf' St Andrews is just 20 minutes further north. This is a very picturesque part of Scotland through which my wife and I often take a leisurely weekend drive, stopping for coffee or lunch in one of the many excellent hotels, restaurants and quaint little coffee shops in the area.


The pretty fishing village of Crail in Fife


In my younger days I was a keen hillwalker, camper and climber on Scotland's Munros (mountains over 3000 feet) but due to advancing years I am no longer as active as I once was although I do still get out on the hills occasionally usually accompanied by my Wingman (my eldest son). I am a keen amateur photographer and take many of the photos which appear on my articles myself. I take an interest in all things Scottish - food, culture, history, outdoor activities and social issues.

I am now in my 60s and not far from retiring from work - and I can't wait. I plan to spend as much time as possible visiting and revisiting as much of my homeland as I can. My wife and I have many half-formed plans and ideas on how to spend our retirement!



I can be found online at various places: 


the old man of storr, isle of skye
MY SCOTLAND

My personal blog where you can learn more about what I write and what interests me about Scotland.





Small boats on Loch Lomond
TRAQUO TRAVEL MAGAZINE

My contributions to this online travel magazine - reviews, places to see, things to do when on vacation in Scotland.






a donkey on blackpool beach
PIXABAY

Copyright-free images which you are welcome to use for any purpose. Attribution is not required but a link back would be appreciated.


old bridge near the village of braemar
GEOGRAPH UK

A registered charity, the Geograph project is an online photo-library which aims to collect representative images from every square kilometre of Great Britain and Ireland. You are welcome to use any Geograph image on your blog but please note that they are SUBJECT TO COPYRIGHT and must be attributed according to the rules of Creative Commons.




And let's not forget my YouTube channel. Actually, it's not that interesting - just a few videos of my Wingman and I on Scotland's hills as well as a few of some other escapades we've gotten up to!



Thank you for visiting my information page. If you would like to ask me a question or if there is anything you wish to know about Scotland feel free to leave a comment or you could send me an email.

Why not follow me on Twitter and Facebook and get an early peek at my latest articles about Scotland.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bill, I enjoy all your photos of Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg When I retire in 22 months time (not that I'm counting!) I will have more time to spend taking photos.

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic introduction to you and your online life. I've been following you for years and didn't know all of this. I'm glad you can retire relatively soon and have even more time to create memories, photos, and posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting. I think that travelling around and taking photographs of Scotland is the one thing I am looking forward to the most since I will no longer be constrained by the need to work for living! :)

      Delete